Listing down things, that you should do – to make best use of Rails Hackfest.
1. Install RVM. The instructions can be obtained from, https://rvm.beginrescueend.com/.
2. Install multiple versions of Ruby. Preferably, Ruby 1.9.2-p290, Ruby-1.8.7, REE and JRuby. All of this is, one command away via:
rvm install ree && rvm install 1.9.2 && rvm install jruby && rvm install 1.8.7
3. Install a decent IRC Client. Mac users can use Colloquy, Linux users can use XChat2. Learn few simple commands. The canonical IRC server which we will be using is, irc.freenode.org. Try connecting to it and see, if you are able to connect to #ruby-lang.
4. Keep Rails code cloned in your local hard disk. It takes time to clone Rails code base and many people cloning at the same time, may slow down things.
5. Install PostgreSQL and MySQL both. Mac users can use homebrew to install via, “brew install postgresql”, Linux users can use apt-get or whatever their distro supports. Also, make sure that, ‘pg’, ‘mysql’ and ‘mysql2’ drivers are working on your machine.
6. If your corporate policy allows, bring your proprietary code. Don’t worry, no one is going to steal it, might be useful in removing the warts and all.